Monday, January 31, 2011

100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader

What a fantastic idea for a book list.  Thank you, Bitch Magazine.  I'm especially impressed by how many current titles are included.  There are lots that I haven't read, so I better get cracking.

A couple of their choices surprise me, such as For the Win, by Cory Doctorow.  I haven't read it yet, but I must admit that although I found Little Brother to be many things, feminist was not amongst them.  Maybe Cory is stepping up his lady game.

3 comments:

  1. One major-faction leader was a 15-year-old girl living in rural India, and just about everyone in the book was ultimately working for one particular woman, whose goal was to cripple the online gaming economies. Women in positions of power and authority. I can see the feminist angle to it, easily--the problem is that the book is overlong and subject to Doctorow's usual problems (cramming too many disparate elements into one book and getting sidetracked from his Story by Politics).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just don't feel up to another slog through his political rantings. I pretty much agree with him but it's boooooooring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, it seems a bunch of authors are asking to have their books removed from the list due to the Bitch editors pulling books because a couple of commenters didn't like content in them.

    It's that kind of week on the internet, I think.

    ReplyDelete